History

In 1959, the parishioners of St. Joseph Parish in Holbrook began a fundraising campaign for their new Catholic school. On September 6, 1962, St. Joseph School opened with two classes of grade one, two classes of grade two and a staff of five Sisters of the order of the Daughters of Charity (one principal and four teachers). A grade was added each year until 1968. By that time, the school had grades one through eight with two classes in each grade level. For the first three years, the Sisters resided in a portion of the school building. In 1965, however, they began living in the newly constructed convent, which still houses a group of sisters.

On September 22, 1962, His Eminence, Richard Cardinal Cushing dedicated St. Joseph School. In his address to the people, he referred to the school as a "Monument to a Christ-like man, Rev. Charles Murphy", who was the pastor of St. Joseph Parish for twenty-two years, and was very instrumental in acquiring the Congregation of the Daughters of Charity to staff the school. The Cardinal paid tribute to the Daughters of Charity and also thanked the town officials who helped make the project possible assuring them, "That no parochial school has conflicted with a public school system. There has always been complete cooperation between the two school systems and this will also be the case in Holbrook."

 


Catholics Come Home Catholic TV